02 February 2010

Lepidoptera, Coleoptera, and Other Ecuadorian Bugs!

The diversity and beauty found in nature, especially tropical areas, never cease to amaze me. Put a camera in my hand and I can't resist an attempt to get a nice, sharp image of almost anything live that presents itself, but I am especially fond of macro-images. And they are usually a challenge to get in sharp focus and proper lighting. So as you might expect, my time spent with camera in hand in the forests of the Ecuadorian Andes Mountains was not always with birds as the main target.

For those of you who have followed my blogs since their inception about April of last year, you are or should be aware of my building passion for dragonflies. So my initial insect interests in Ecuador leaned that way. But for whatever reason, be it seasonal, non-suitable habitat, lack of still water bodies, elevation, or whatever, I only observed 2 dragonflies on this trip, and was able to get a marginal photograph of only one of them. And butterflies, my next highest area of interest, were not very abundant either. But their very close relatives, the moths, were readily found under lights at night and clinging to walls, trees, and other hard surfaces during daylight hours. Unfortunately, I am not able to identify any of the moths or other species I obtained images of as I do not have reference sources for them.

So the following photos will go without names associated with them, although they may be accompanied by some other commentary. I should mention that all of these shots were taken with a relatively inexpensive point-and-shoot camera that I keep in my shirt pocket - where it is easily retrievable for scenery, people, macro shots, etc. The camera that I used was the one I gave Kathy as a Christmas present this year - a Panasonic Lumix ZS3. OK, I know what you are thinking, ....... but I had to see if it worked, didn't I???
This looks to be a grasshopper type insect. Bee/Wasp Family. Moth - that looks like wasp!Rhinoceros Beetle group? I received an email in March2011 identifying this rhino beetle as Golofa eacus. No common name was given.These last 3 were quite large with wingspans up to 3" or so.Next up - Back to Birds: The Tanagers and allies.

No comments:

Post a Comment