31 July 2009

Gipsy Lake

As I have previously discussed, chasing dragonflies - and birds - gives me a great opportunity to visit places I've never been before or haven't been to in a long time. From 1971-72, Kathy and I lived in White Sulphur Springs, and I got to know the countryside pretty well in the short time we lived there. One of my favorite places was Gypsy Lake in the foothills of the Big Belt Mountains, at the base of a beautiful glacial cirque. Yesterday, I visited this lake for the first time in many years - and it is as gorgeous and serene as ever! There was a very good assortment of dragonflies and damselflies along the edges of the lake and even into the upland areas. The visit was a success from that angle - especially since there are presently no dragonfly records for Meagher County. So each of the 9 species I found were new county records. The eyes on this American emerald are really something to see. Since the pursuit of dragonflies has consumed almost all of my time this summer, bird photography has taken a back seat. The icing on the cake for this visit to Gypsy lake was a very cooperative spotted sandpiper. An indication of how much dragonflies have dominated my life in July is the fact that this is the only bird photo I have taken all month!

No comments:

Post a Comment