18 May 2011

Camouflage in Birds

The plumage patterns and colors of many bird species certainly do not seem to have evolved to camouflage their presence. Indeed, these aspects of many seem to do just the opposite and flaunt their presence. On a trip to Freezout Lake near Fairfield, MT yesterday, I photographed a species that I don't see too often, and perhaps that is at least partially due to the camouflage pattern of its plumage that very closely mimics the habitat in which it is usually found. The species is the American Bittern. When I first sighted this bird, it was standing with its neck outstretched so that it was not especially difficult to find. But after several minutes, it crouched down in the vegetation and I had to use my binoculars to spot it again, even though it was still in the open. When I drove by the same area several hours later, I could not find the bird again, but a Great Egret with mostly pure white plumage was easily seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment