18 June 2009

Orchids - A Temporary(?) Detour

Late last winter, I called a homeowner living in Unionville, about 5 miles south of Helena in the mountains, to talk about some birds she had coming to her feeders. The conversation broadened a bit and she talked about all of the orchids she had growing on her land - a reclaimed mining site with large trees and a very small stream. The fairy slipper orchids she mentioned really caught my attention because they had always fascinated me. Unfortunately, I did not get around to visiting her until today and most of this species had already bloomed and were now drying out. I did find one that was not completely dry, and while its beauty was waning, you can get an idea of how magnificent it must have been. Click on the images to enlarge them.
But that was not all that this beautiful area supported in the way of orchids. The very observant landowner walked me around the property for quite a while and showed me several other orchid species that were about to bloom. The one below has many small flowers on a longish stem with the lower florets just beginning to open. It is named Spring or Wister's Coralroot. This plant has no chlorophyll and obtains its energy from parasitism on tree roots.. By far the most abundant species was the mountain lady's-slipper. They were not quite in full bloom but many will be there in a few days. Last summer, I found some of these in a nearby moist mountain area, but this "yard" was adorned with dozens of them. There was one other species present that the landowner showed me. It is in the Lily family and seems to have may common names. The Montana Natural History Field Guide refers to it as Chocolate Lily, but of the other common names for it, Leopard Lily is the one that appeals most to me.

So do today's nearby excursion and the resulting photo opps mean that I may succumb to another addiction - macro flower photography? I don't think I'm headed that way, but must admit that orchids are certainly fascinating for me - and many other folks for that matter. And I'm planning a jaunt maybe next week to a location on the Rocky Mountain Front that is supposed to be one of the best in the state for orchid variety. But instinct tells me that this may be just a passing phase and is unlikely to expand to other varieties of flowers! Lets hope so anyway!!

2 comments:

  1. Bob -- very nice. The last photo looks like a chocolate lily. Each of those photos you've posted is a nice find. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob

    Nice shots of the beautiful orchids. Believe it or not, I have some shots of Chocolate Lilies south of Ft. Peck about 20 miles.

    There is one plus about photographing flowers beside their beauty - they don't fly away just as you've got them in focus.

    ReplyDelete