14 May 2009

The Big Push Begins!

Spring migration begins earlier in Montana than most might expect. Generally, in late February and early March, we begin to see some species such as gulls and waterfowl begin to filter back into the state. And this parade of newcomers continues at a variable pace into May. But then by the 10th or so of May, the push of smaller migrants - mainly the Passerines - begins in earnest. West of the divide, migration is a little earlier than here in the Helena area. And certain parts of the state such as the northeastern corner generally get a greater species richness - with many birds passing thru that area to breed in Canada and perhaps Alaska.

The big push has now begun! Almost every successive day now should bring new birds into our area. Some will be just passing through to breeding grounds farther north and some will remain here to begin their annual breeding ritual. This morning, I found my first yellow warbler of the spring. What a great bird!




Also new for the year were house wren and common yellowthroat.

After finding these birds, I headed over to Mt. Helena where there are several species I can usually locate easily if they have arrived here. And one of these is a quite interesting story.

I began keeping pretty good records of my birding exploits in 2001. That year, I found a calliope hummingbird on Mt. Helena along one of the trails that leads from the main parking lot toward the south. Since then, I have looked in this same place each May. The first year I found this hummer, he was sitting on a dead branch of a mountain maple tree adjacent to the east side of the trail. And each year since that initial sighting, I have found a male calliope sitting on that exact same branch. Pretty consistent, I'd say! Given the number of years covered, it is quite unlikely that this is the same bird. What it likely demonstrates is the habit of males of this species finding a nice high spot from which to observe their territory. It could be a learned behavior but male hummers often leave the area before young are fledged from their nest. At any rate, it will be interesting to follow this story in the insuing years. Here is a nice male calliope sitting on a bitterbrush plant nearby.

1 comment:

  1. Bob -- Looks like a great start to your blog. I am sure this is one I will check often. Thanks for showing me and Myles a nice new place to bird in Helena this afternoon. Chad Adams

    ReplyDelete